You don’t have to give up desserts after deciding to eat healthier. This dessert is the perfect meal makeover to the American apple pie especially if you are eating gluten free these days and you want to watch your sugar intake too. I simply love the crust! The crunchiness of the almonds and coconut is way better than your traditional flour crust. This crust is made of almond meal, bits of sliced almonds, and coconut (optional) along with a tiny bit of maple syrup. The filling offers a wonderful twist too! It’s made with fresh Fuji apples that are thinly sliced and nestled in a simple custard. Delicious!
- Apple Pie Crust
- 1 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp stevia powder or 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Apple Filling
- 4 apples, green or fuji apples, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Greased a pie mold with coconut oil.
- Pour all the crust ingredient in a bowl.
- Stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour 3/4 of crust mixture into the pie mold.
- Using a fork, press the crust mixture against the pie mold to make the pie crust.
- Add thinly sliced peeled apples.
- In a bow whisk with a fork the eggs, almond milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the batter onto the apples.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180 C or until golden.
- Cool down before removing from the mold.
- The crust will get harder when it reach room temperature.
Crust with Filling and Ready for the Oven